Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Bloodsuckers

Do you have any friends who call you up and continue talking even after you mention that you are on the other line?

Oh, tell me about it. Cos my sister (herein termed "Bloodsucker") is one of them.

Yesterday I was talking to a client on the phone when Bloodsucker called. Before you ask me why i chose to answer her call in the first place, let me tell you. From previous experience, if i didn't pick up her call or if I cancelled it, she'd call me again and again.

So I told my client to hold on the line, answered the call on my mobile and immediately said, "I'm on the other line, i'll call you back".

That must have been lost somewhere admist her loud chattering, for she continued yabbering, this time trying to rush through whatever information she wanted to say, as though she was in some kinda earthquake and any minute the calamity might swallow her.

I listened for a bit. Nope, this can wait, i thought.

And i quickly said, "I really can't talk to you. Can i pls ca...?"

Beep. Beep. Beep.

Silence.

She hung up even before I could finish!

What would you do if you were me?

Oh no, i didn't get angry. I continued talking to my client for the next 5 mins and then resumed work on my computer.

Soon a text message came in from Bloodsucker.

"If you want to buy item A from shop B, you can....ya-da ya-da ya-da"

Can anyone please tell me what was so important about that piece of information that it had to be communicated right there and then?

No, the shop was not going to close down. No, there wasn't any offers. Nothing of that sort. Basically it was information she could have told me a week after, and no lives would have been in danger.

So can someone, anyone, please enlighten me why that couldn't wait?

Being the typical person with amazingly slow reaction, I then saw RED.

With eyebrows furrowed deeply and a string of vulgarities as accompaniment, i composed a nice reply to Bloodsucker as shown.

Noted. Two things you need to take note.

1. If i say I'm busy or am on the other phone, please do not attempt to carry on the conversation.

2. This is related to Point 1. If you cannot understand that and need to hear me repeat that I'm unavailable, then i will gladly repeat that for you but please do not hang up the phone on me in a rude manner. It is not only annoying but it makes you look psycho too.

If you cannot adhere to my simple request, I urge you to refrain yourself from calling me. Thank you.

And during the journey home from work, I had re-read the message I sent and thought maybe I was a tad too harsh. I don't know, but stupid things like that simply drive me mad.

Especially when it was a poisonous monday and I've had too much to handle.

Oh. And i'm not going to apologize.

3 Comments:

Blogger Webmiztris said...

sounds like she could benefit from using some meds....lol

12:09 am  
Blogger Fuckkit said...

Ooh, no, the worst people are the ones that are sat right next to you in the canteen and you're reading.

And they're talking to you.

And you don't know them well enough to tell them to shut it but all you wanna do is eat your beans and read the latest celebrity gossip.

Those are the people I wanna stab with a fork :)

6:59 am  
Blogger Jay said...

Wahliao, your reply was very... precise. Thank God for predictive texting!

4:31 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home