Sunday, January 22, 2006

Hospitals

I spent the whole of today morning in a hospital. Accompanying a friend for her abortion. Her boyfriend had promised to turn up but he didn't.

Later, I found out that he was at home sleeping.

I had found it immensely disturbing. If your partner was going through a difficult period like this, would your conscience have allowed you to sleep? Oh no, it was apparent he was a man without conscience. He didn't exhibit one. Needless to say, action speaks louder than words.

And in between wafting in and out of drug induced sleep, she had cried. Out of anger. Out of sadness. Out of emptiness. Out of...disappointment? And it had been painful to watch - especially when I completely understood her raging mix of emotions.

I never like being in hospitals. I constantly dread accompanying people or visiting anyone. Even when I know that its not always about how I feel, but how my presence could make other people feel. I was glad I could be there for her. To be her pillar of strength.

But still i hate hospitals.

Maybe its the smell of antiseptic that hangs in the air. The sight of tear-stained faces. The heavy silence that awaits hesitant healing.

And maybe because, as always, something inside me stirs. Bringing back a flood of memories. And I am reminded, that I too, have a past.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm twitching. I mean this quite literally. My brothers ex went through an abortion, and though he had been ecstatic about the pregnancy he supported her completely in her choice. After it was over and done with she tells him that it probably wasn't his as she'd been cheating on him. I won't go into details about her excuses or what not, but what is significant here is that my brother was absolutely crushed. I can clearly remember the long conversations we had as he tried to think of ways to support his then partner through such a situation, he was making so much effort to be everything a loving partner should be only to be screwed over by her. I am disgusted that your friends supposed partner acted like this. I only say supposed as partners are suppose to support each other, just as we support our friends that we love dearly. Dear god I could just wahini slap people like that.

1:21 pm  
Blogger DK said...

That guy is a jerk.

11:40 pm  
Blogger Webmiztris said...

what a dick - no wonder she got the abortion...I sure hope she's kicking that guy to the curb for good.

4:52 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home