Thursday, January 05, 2006

New Year & KL Trip

I know i'm a little late on this, but happy new year guys!

I've been pretty flat out the last couple of days, hence the late posting. Yea, flat out with watching TV, lazing around, reading other people's blogs - my idea of being occupied.

But thats good news - at least for me. Cos 3 months ago, I didn't have the luxury of enjoying the simple things in life. I was overworked, unhappy - now with a new job that pays more and one that allows me to leave on time - I've got nothing to complain about, have I?

In the blink of an eye, its 2006. What are your resolutions this year? For me, i have stopped making them. Because they don't work. Instead, I'm going to create a vision - just like this guy. This somehow reminds me of Habit 2# from the book The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen Covey - Always begin with the end in mind. Makes a whole lot of sense to me.

My new year celebration was different. Instead of sticking around in boring old Singapore, my friends and I went to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia (KL). And unlike other 'normal' people who took the coach, we opted for the train instead. The plan had been to go 'rugged' and be more adventuresome. I had also been mildly accused of being a tai-tai*, therefore I took it in my stride to prove them wrong. That I was not a tai-tai. That i was adventurous and i could go rugged - like anyone else. So i had booked everyone on third class so that we could all suffer! *evil laughter*

But I had stopped laughing when I saw the train.


Boy, it scared the shit out of me.

The train ride was an 8-hour long miserable disaster. I nearly died. The bulk of the problem had been one stoopid bitch who sat next to me with smelly feet. Yes, smelly feet that were so nauseating i had slept with my neck arched towards the aisle. It felt like her feet were right under my nose! I was close to murdering her bcos the train was full and I had no way of swapping seats. My friends had looked pale, and one of them had motion sickness. It was plain torture. The death train went on rattling, swaying and banging its way violently into KL, and finally, after 8 hours, we arrived.

Got out of the frying pan, only to be thrown back into the fire.

Because Hotel Brisdale had at first looked promising - on the outside. Initially I couldn't believe our luck for i thought it was a 'rugged' hotel so I was secretly pleased with myself that I did not have to endure any more crap. Little did i know the events that were to unfold.

The washroom had tiny cockroaches that refused to die - even after i had sprayed them with tons of water - basically, attempts to drown the little bastards failed miserably. And the toilet flushes and transports you into some kinda warzone at the same time cos the pipes sounded like machine guns blasted in the air. Not forgetting to mention the leaks, thereafter.

And the hotel view - I had asked for a nice view. This is what I got.


Sigh. I remember standing at the window for 10 mins trying to digest the "nice" view - and everything else that came with it. Inside my head were just three words "oh my god", repetitively pounding in my head, till they became one - a splitting headache. Enough said.

Later part of the day, I managed to get some shopping done and dined out in Nando's, a nice peri peri restaurant.


At night, we went to Rum Jungle one of the hippiest clubs in town, for the countdown.


There were fireworks, lots of booze, and I made some new friends. But i couldn't really enjoy myself as I had caught a cold - but it was definitely one of the more pleasant memories during the trip.

We went home on Aeroline a luxury coach. I'm sure I heard everyone breathe sighs of relief - that i didn't book them a return on the train from hell.


Aeroline is this luxury coach obsessed with the idea of flights. So they have things like seatbelts to protect you from falling of your seat incase the coach "ever takes flight". And stewards to serve you light refreshments.


The food does not look appetizing eh? Because it tastes terrible. Period.

But it was a relaxing journey home - comfortable leather seats, warm blankets, scents of hot chocolate in the air. Perfect.

And after all the trauma drama, it feels really good to be home.

*tai-tai means a middle-aged woman who lives off her rich husband and spends her time shopping with socialites like herself and wears lots of bling-bling.

P.S: I'm no tai-tai cos I'm still young, single and have no bling bling! *big-hint*

9 Comments:

Blogger X said...

tickled me reading this post =)
i've seriously not heard of people attempting to kill roaches by spraying water, gd thing they were lil, i hate the big flying ones.

being the johorian mountain tortoise i am, i have not been to KL yet, probably sometime this month. now i know about the train, wonder how my two elderly parents survived when they took it...looks like there's only by bus then, i do hope i'll land myself with a gd bus company. how much did yer pay for aeroline? looking at the food, kinda reminds me of yer chix pasto...ahah

3:13 am  
Blogger Webmiztris said...

ha! that train looks like an old, delapidated trailer on tracks!!

4:42 am  
Blogger Miriguy said...

Lol..that was funny..
Well, it serve you right rugged girl (hehe, just kidding ok?)
Anyway, I have been to KL before but I ride the super V.I.P couch.. Very nice you know.
So, the moral of the story is, make sure you made your research before making a decision :)
I'll look out for you about Leo, ok?
I guess you're someone that's full of life (happy go lucky) cos that's the typical Leo.
Wait ok? :)

5:04 pm  
Blogger Miss Jes said...

x - hahahah. Maybe they took first class - with the sleeping bunks? Frankly the bunks look more like the ones in army camps. For aeroline its RM80 (SGD 36) one way.

Dawn - It was the train from hell and I'm glad I survived!

miriguy - Nah. Moral of the story is - no more taking the train! Was that Transtar coach you took? I sat on the first class before - pretty cool with individual LCD screens and stuff. I'm into astrology too. I'm sure we can exchange pointers. :)

8:53 pm  
Blogger X said...

ouch.....RM80 is way above my budget, gonna settle for the cheap RM25 and RM28 ones

1:40 am  
Blogger Miriguy said...

hehe. that sounds cool...
u know what?
I got what you requested..
Leo is outgoing, optimstic and concern about their outer appearance,
it's not a surprise to see you have cool hairstyle, or dressing to impress.
You love the limelight.At school, Leo can either be the class clown or class bully.
Leo should find plenty of opportunities in performance, sales, and marketing.
Sports and special events are high visibilty careers where salesmanship and flair count.
You also can consider finding wealth by participating in careers or business that are related to
fitness, with the emphasis on wellrun clubs, personal attention, and social atmosphere.
As the population ages, there will be more emphasis on weight training and rehabilitation aimed at older bodies.
Leos are especially suited to the high energy demand of this field.
Diet specific restaurants, vegetarian restaurants, diet consultants and organic food farmers and gardeners should
be expanding.
We'll be especially concerned with the quality of our meat and seafood.
Leos have the skills in working with agriculture, diet counseling, cooking, restaurant management, organizing
farmers' markets, and managing health food stores.

1:14 pm  
Blogger Miriguy said...

yeah, we should keep in touch :)

1:15 pm  
Blogger Miss Jes said...

x - Hahahha...be prepared to suffer. :)

miriguy - thanx for the update. Among all starting up a restaurant sounds more like me. :)

4:15 am  
Blogger Miriguy said...

:) no sweat ms. jes, let me know when you start then :)

7:47 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home