Wednesday, January 11, 2006

It's one big CHILL

Its been raining like hell here the last couple of days. I haven't seen the sun in two days.

Cold winds sweeping around Asia are the apparent cause for the heavy rainfalls, they said.

Three more days to go before the rain stops, i had read in the papers.

I wanted to bitch about how I had slipped and fallen in the rain. My knee still hurts like crazy.

I had wanted to write about how I have been cooped up at home because going out in the heavy rain is too much of a hassle. And how much I hate going to work when the cold weather is just about perfect for an afternoon nap.

But never mind. Really.

Cos it just occured to me how lucky Singapore is compared to its neighbouring countries like Malaysia and Indonesia who are currently experiencing floods and landslides. Will we always be so lucky? And worse still - countries such as India, China and Korea are battered with heavy snowfall - such raging cold, that hundreds have died.

No, I dare not complain. I am warm. I am dry. I am safe. How can I complain when I am blessed?

I turn on my telly, and I see mothers crying. They have lost their children. Families huddled closely around bonfires, hoping to survive the night. And children...little children wandering around - looking so forlorn. And my heart breaks.

What is happening to the world?

First, a tsunami attack that killed hundred thousands of people. Then Hurricane Katrina murdering thousands and causing damages in billions. Next Kashmir earthquake taking with it tens of thousands lives. And now extreme weather in Asia - god knows how many more will perish. These natural disasters are seriously starting to freak me out. Not to mention, terrorist attacks and wars.

And i wonder, what next? Is the world really coming to an end?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home